This new course was piloted in May 2016, at the tranquil setting of Ardoch House, Loch Lomond, with powerful feedback from all 15 participants.
This 2-day residential course treats each person individually at a fundamental and profound level with the aim of establishing a healthy, balanced underlying state, enabling the body’s own healing mechanisms to operate at optimum level and restore health and control. All steps are interlinked, influencing many structures within the body e.g. musculoskeletal, nervous, cardio-vascular, energy and immune systems, organs, connective tissues & fluids, providing benefits on many different levels to enhance health, strength and vitality. Our courses provide people affected by cancer with the tools to undertake a programme of self-management by exploring goal setting, action plans, stress management and self monitoring.
The 7 steps are:
- Personal Psychology: Developing the tools to address and manage issues such as anxiety and how to cope with the emotional and psychological impact of cancer and its treatment including the impact on financial circumstances, relationships and how it affects our deepest values and beliefs.
- Imagery & Mindfulness: Managing the emotional and physical impact. Our cells are not aware of the difference between what we see with our eyes and what we can visualise. A good or bad memory can stir up the same emotions as when the actual event happened.
- Nutrition & Internal Body Awareness: Developing a deeper awareness of why & how to nourish our bodies including preparing & enjoying healthy food (practical session).
- Exercise: Learning and finding ways to implement manageable exercise – exercise gets the oxygen flowing nourishing our cells and can help speed up recovery.
- Image & External Body Awareness: Discussing image, confidence, skin products etc. This is hugely important to many – if we look good on the outside then we feel good on the inside.
- Stress Management: Learning a sequence of stress management techniques to reduce stress & aid sleep through nurturing our energy. Continuous stress compromises the immune system, metabolic balance, and the capacity for self-healing & leads to so much disease and breakdown of cells.
- Consolidation of skills and the next steps: 1:1/personal treatment plan, evaluation and follow on plans.
“I wasn’t sure what the future held for me, now I know that I can directly influence my future by living healthily and stress free and I have the tools to deal with anything the future holds for me. Thank you!”
Following the success of the Pilot course we are delighted and honoured to announce future courses will be overseen by Sondra Barrett Phd, scientist and cancer researcher at the University of California Medical School, renowned for delivering programs worldwide on bridging the science, art and practice of mind-body medicine.
Rainbow Valley’s partnership with Sondra will teach:
- Easy daily movement practices for health and healing
- Direct evidence for how your thoughts translate into cellular messages
- Rituals for healing yourself at the cellular level: heart, liver, brain, your body
- Proven strategies for saying goodbye to stress and disease
- Techniques for turning negative thinking into an attitude of gratitude
Our next course dates are:
22nd – 24th March 2017
6th – 8th June 2017
10th – 12th Oct 2017
Places are extremely limited so please contact Lindsay@rainbowvalley.org.uk if you would like to attend.
In 2017 we will also be offering you the opportunity to attend one of our FREE Living Well with the Impact of Cancer Courses. The courses are delivered by Penny Brohn UK* external facilitators and provide you with a tool kit of self-care techniques that can help support your physical, emotional and spiritual health. Our courses in 2015 and 2016 were a huge success, read comments from our first course participants.
*Penny Brohn UK is the trading name of Penny Brohn Cancer Care, a registered charity (no. 284881) and a company registered in England (no. 1635916).
Here is some of the feedback we received.
Did you feel the course was beneficial?
“I thought so at the time, but have felt so even more since coming home. “
“I’m very much into nourishing my “whole” self. The course was very much about that and was very beneficial for me.”
“The course was way above expectations, from the beautiful house & setting to the delicious nutritious food all was pleasing to the eye, and edifying to the soul. The instructors were so aware of all of us, kindly in their drawing us out to give us the best experience possible. Making sure we all understood the information & encouraging us to benefit from each subject.”
“Having had a few days to reflect on my experience there I had to write to express my gratitude to you all for such an inspiring and uplifting couple of days. I must admit I had been apprehensive before going but these fears were allayed probably as soon as we arrived.”